Saturday, August 6, 2011

blueberry ice cream


A few things inspired me to make blueberry ice cream this summer.  First, lately my daughter just LOVES blueberries.  Second, my husband's parents were in town visiting from Hawaii, and while they were here they would often go to Trader Joe's and buy giant boxes of blueberries for my kids to eat.  And finally, it's summer, and I've been on an ice-cream making kick!


I found a recipe for raspberry ice cream in my copy of David Lebovitz's "The Perfect Scoop", so I used that recipe and substituted blueberries instead.


The color of the ice cream came out beautiful.  And although I enjoyed the flecks of fresh blueberries in it, next time I think I'll try cooking the blueberries down first, to see if I can make a more concentrated blueberry flavor.


Happy Summer!

14 comments:

  1. I just happened to get frozen wild blueberries from my friend who moved out of the country -- hope I can try this after my vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... YUM!

    My son would totally love that ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love that color and my kids loves blueberries. What a refreshing treat for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous! I've been on an ice cream making kick too and we just went blueberry picking. Hmmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos...and such a delicious and vibrant ice cream...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a beautiful looking ice cream! The color is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so delicious and refreshing! First time on your blog, I am happily following you now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love david lebovitz' recipes.. he's so good. this looks great, i love the color of the berries.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets - ooooh, wild blueberries sound like they'd be delicious in ice cream!

    @Carolyn - you should definitely make this then! let me know how it turns out!

    @The Slow Roasted Italian - yay thanks for following!!!

    @Honey - i love david lebovitz's recipes too! they are my go-to ice cream recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful colour! I do know what you mean about the flavour though. I've just tried making a checkerboard cake with blueberries but the flavour wasn't intense enough. Good to try though Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had fun this weekend picking blueberries with our families and was looking for recipes. Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to try this recipe out with my daughter. I've shared your link on our post Little Hands that Cook with Books and Blueberries. http://theeducatorsspinonit.blogspot.com/2012/05/30-ways-to-eat-blueberries.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Kim @ The Educators Spin On It - it sounds like so much fun to go blueberry picking! thanks for linking to me! :)

      Delete
  12. This is so tempting! The colour is amazing. ♥ Did you use any tool to make this? Like an ice cream machine or something? :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @christielpy - thank you! yes i used an ice cream maker, mine is an older cuisinart model but it still works great!

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000JGRT/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=iheartbaking-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00000JGRT

      Delete