Sunday, November 29, 2015

tron cupcakes


In the past few years, my son Matthew has always asked for some sort of superhero theme for his birthday. Last year was a Captain America party, the year before that was an Iron Man ice cream cake, the year before that was a Spiderman party at the zoo, and before that was a Superman party. But this year for his 8th birthday, he asked for TRON! To be more accurate, he wanted Tron cupcakes for his class party at school, and then he wanted a Star Wars cake for a party with a few of his friends.

But back to the Tron cupcakes! I had seen a cute design here, and it even had free printables for cupcake toppers! Awesome! So I set out to make my own version of these cupcakes.


First I started by making the Tron "identity disk" cookies to go on top of the cupcakes. I used a chocolate wafer cookie recipe in my book, The Hello Kitty Baking Book (look for the ice cream sandwich recipe!) and I used two different sized round cookie cutters to make my disk.



After baking and cooling the cookies, I used blue medium-stiff royal icing to decorate disks (royal icing recipe also in my book, and for the blue coloring I used a couple of drops of Americolor royal blue).


The I moved on to the cupcakes. Matthew doesn't like chocolate cake (I know, who doesn't like chocolate cake?!?), so I made vanilla cupcakes instead (recipe also in my book!).


Once the cupcakes were cooled, I used a medium star tip to cover the tops of my cupcakes in a piped star design.




Then I topped each cupcake with a disk cookie, and a printed Tron cupcake topper (using the printable I mentioned above, which I then cut out and then attached to one end of a toothpick using scotch tape)!



Good thing I had found the printables, because without them I'm not sure anyone would know that they were Tron cupcakes!



Happy 8th birthday, my Matthew! We love you!


Stay tuned for the Star Wars cake and cookies in my next post!



No comments:

Post a Comment