Sunday, July 17, 2016

yellow roses birthday cake



My friend Renee recently asked me to make a rose cake for her mom's birthday, and the reason behind it was such a sweet one. Apparently every year, her father would buy yellow roses for her mom on her birthday. Her father passed away not too long ago, and Renee wanted to continue the yellow roses tradition, but in a new way. So she asked me to make a yellow roses cake. (Doesn't that just bring tears to your eyes?!)


We decided on a vanilla cake filled with fresh whipped cream and strawberries, so I made two 8-inch vanilla cakes and sliced each in half horizontally, giving me four cake layers. Then I filled each layer with freshly whipped cream, sliced fresh strawberries, and more whipped cream on top of the strawberries.



I did this with each cake layer, giving me three layers of filling ...


and four layers of cake.


Then I did a quick coat of yellow buttercream, all over the tops and sides of the cake. (No need for it to be perfectly smooth here, as it will be covered with piped roses).


To pipe the roses all over the cake, which I've done many times in various colors and flavors (based on the original creation by I Am Baker, love her!), I used a Wilton 1M large star piping tip to pipe quick swirls to form the roses, repeating it all the way around the sides of the cake ...


and continuing the roses on the top of the cake as well.



I loved the result. It looked like a big bouquet of vibrant yellow roses!


Happy Birthday to your mom, Renee. I hope she enjoyed her yellow roses this year. :) 


1 comment:

  1. I’m drooling over this delicious cake. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete